Get new UPDATES ON BLACK MEN & CULTURE FROM STEVEN delivered directly to your inbox.
IF YOU CAN SELL A BOOK, YOU CAN DODGE A BALL!
Hey! You know me, it’s Steven Underwood. Hailing from Columbus, Ohio, I’m an award-winning, twitter verified writer with a penchant for finding the magic in just about anything. I create, question and improve by nature. I guess that makes me a creative by nature.
MY MOMMA SAID THAT WHEN I WALK OUT THE HOUSE, I REPRESENT HER. I’VE BEEN INTO FASHION EVER SINCE.
When I’m not creating articles, essays and ads, I’m doing my best as a digital strategist. I’ve interviewed many fashion designers, producers and brand-smiths for Cassius Life, Oprah Daily, LEVEL and Essence. His joint efforts in these honors and his work as an on-campus writer earned him the Eugene A. Noble Award for Leadership and Enthusiasm. I’ve written scripts for ABF Creative sponsored by the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. I’ve recently wrapped up a stint as a columnist and blogger for Cassius Life.
CULTURE VLOGGERS ON TIK TOK WERE MADE FOR FASHION ADVERTISING! MOST OF THEM (LIKE ME) JUST WANNA LOOK CUTE AND COMPLAIN ANYWAY!
I’ve published essays on Blackness and identity with BET, LEVEL, MTV News, Essence, LGBTNATION, Cassius Life, and Banango Street, including an essay entitled “I Should’ve Talked Black” and other critical voyages into race and masculinity.
IT’S MY UNHUMBLE OPINION THAT POETS ARENT MONETIZING THE AUDIO SOCIAL MEDIA GAME LIKE THEY SHOULD BE.
I ain’t got no dogs or cats, but two nieces and a nephew who swear they’re smarter than me.
REAL HOTBOY ISH
- Represented by Eric Smith at P.S. Literary for something Non-fiction.
- MFA in Creative Writing graduate of William Paterson University of New Jersey.
- Recipient of the Eugene A. Noble Award for Charisma and Leadership.
- Featured on NPR’s “Strange Fruit with Jaison Gardner and Dr. Kaila Adia Story”.
- Former Fashion Intern at Out Magazine.
- Elite member of “Blue Check Twitter”.
FOR LEVEL — Whether OnlyFans or other services, men are finding that digital sex work is just that — work
FOR LEVEL — Owning your sexuality — and recognizing that fatherhood doesn’t need to be about hardness — presents a necessary alternative
FOR MEDIUM — Unpacking the EMOBLACKTHOT situation on Twitter and the issues with BIPOC and Men disclosing sexual assault
Copywriter (#CASESTUDY) – October 2021 – Present
Columnist (Cassius Life) – January 2019 – August 2021
Culture Writer (LEVEL) – 2019 – 2020
Culture Writer (MTV NEWS & New Now Next) – January 2019 – Present
Culture Writer (Essence) – February 2019 – June 2019
Copywriter & Story Producer (ABF Creative) – May 2018-August 2018
Staff Writer (Epicurean Commune) – December 2016- May 2018
Freelance Journalist (BET, LGBTNATION) – 2018 – Present
SOME OF MY BEST PIECES ARE:
- WILL FANTASY EVER LET BLACK BOYS LIKE ME BE MAGIC?
- WE THE PEOPLE IN A LESS PERFECT UNION
- BLACK HISTORY NOW: THE MULTIFACETED ART OF TONI MORRISON
- WHY AMERICA ONLY VALUES BLACK ARTISTS AFTER THEY DIE
- WHEN COMING OUT AS BISEXUAL FEELS LIKE INTRUDING
- HOW WHITE SUPREMACY PLAYS ITS ROLE IN HOMOPHOBIA
- WHO GAVE POLICE THE RIGHT TO MURDER?
- I’VE STOPPED MY WAR ON BLACK PAIN AND TRAUMA STORIES
- CAN SEX WORK HELP EASE THE RECESSION FOR MEN?
- BISEXUAL FATHERS CAN UNDO THE DAMAGE WE INHERIT FROM OUR DADS
- BLACK BOYS AND BIRD-CHESTS: THE RACIALIZED LEGACY OF BODY DYSMORPHIA
- NYC: WHERE RICH WHITE KIDS PLAY POVERTY